In the later part of the 18th century, the region came under the Kingdom of Mysore, following a series of wars with the Madurai Nayak Dynasty.After the defeat of Tipu Sultan in the Anglo-Mysore Wars, the British East India Company annexed Coimbatore to the Madras Presidency in 1799.
In 1927, Karur taluk was separated from the district and merged with Tiruchirapalli district.
In 1956, Kollegal taluk was transferred to Mysore State.
The eastern side of the Coimbatore district, including the city, is predominantly dry.
The entire western and northern part of the district borders the Western Ghats with the Nilgiri biosphere as well as the Anaimalai and Munnar ranges.
It is surrounded by the Western Ghats mountain range on the west and north, with reserve forests and the (Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve) on the northern side.